History of the Convent
The idea of erecting a statue for Christ the King preoccupied Blessed Abouna Yaacoub. He began work in 1950. During work, the workers discovered an underground natural grotto. As soon as he heard the news, Abouna Yaacoub exclaimed with joy: “This is for the Queen. There can be no King without a Queen”; thus, the place is arranged to be a shrine for the Virgin, Queen of the Universe. In 1951, he built the church, crowning its dome with a statue of Christ the King reaching 12 meters in height and 75 tons in weight.


Besides honoring Christ the King, Abouna Yaacoub wanted to move the elderly priests from the hospital of the Cross closer to the heart of Jesus: “Who is closer to the heart of Jesus, on earth, than the priest who gives birth to Him every day. So it is not surprising that we have made this sanctuary a hospice for the clergy: priests, monks and nuns…” (according to Abouna Yaacoub).

After his death, Hospice of Christ the King was expanded and transformed into a real spiritual shining center. Before it was completely transformed to host the clergy exclusively in 1976, it opened its doors to spiritual retreats for the clergy and lay people as well as to religious conferences. Subsequently, it witnessed the creation of the Secular Order of Saint Francis. In addition to that, it includes a workshop for sewing ecclesiastical clothes and everything the churches need according to Eastern and Western rite. During the Lebanese war, Hospice of Christ the King opened its doors to accommodate the displaced. During the direct bombardment of 1990, it suffered great damage and had to be evacuated, except for the Sisters who patiently endured and showed tenacity nourished by faith. It should be noted that a floor is reserved in the building of the residence of the sick and elderly Sisters.


